In Bogotá there is a church on top of a mountain called Monserrate that overlooks all of Bogotá. On Monday Martha and I decided to do something touristy in town. We had planned on going to a museum, but the sun was shining, and it was such a nice day we decided to go to Monserrate instead. It's best to go when it's nice out so you can get the best view of Bogotá.
This is a view while we were driving up, up and up, to get to the place where you take a sky tram the rest of the way up.
Just outside the building at the base of the mountain.
A really pretty fountain that we looked at while we waited our turn to go up the mountain.
Up we go! I am scared of heights, but I try not to let that stop me. I only had to close my eyes a few times. No matter how scared I was I did not want to miss the view!
I never realized how HUGE Bogotá is until I had a view from the Heavens! This picture does not even show you how big it is.
A picture of the main part of Bogotá. We could not see our place from the top because it was around the other corner of the mountain.
Being up so high on the mountain, with the beautiful view, and the beautiful gardens and church it was so peaceful! We went during the week, so it was not all that busy which made it even nicer!
I loved the walk way made out of rocks. It added to the feel of the place.
Inside the church I lit a candle for my grandparents. As I mentioned before, I have been thinking about them a lot while enjoying my trip here. It was nice to light the candle in memory of them.
A couple different photos inside the church.
The church doors open to a spectacular view of the mountains that surround Bogotá.
Some of the really beautiful vegetation that is on the top of the mountain.
The plant above is so so so so soft! I could have curled up and taken a nap on top of it! This plant only grows up here in the really high elevation. Bogotá is about at 8600 feet, and here it was 10,300.
I'm not one for photo ops, but it was so pretty I asked Martha to take a picture of me :)
There was a fun little market also! I ended up buying a few things. I wanted to buy a lot more then I did! :)
This house is a restaurant at Monserrate. There is a little story behind this home. It was moved all the way up the mountain from Bogotá. My Tia Lucia, and other family members were up at Monserrate, and were eating dinner here in this restaurant. As they were eating, they kept thinking the place was very familiar. My Tia kept recognizing different things about the house. It was soon realized that this was the home of my Tia's cousin when she was young. This of coarse would also be my grandma's cousin. What a fun little story about this home that now overlooks all of Bogotá. Sadly, the restaurant is closed every Monday, and that was the day I was there. I will have to go again to eat in the restaurant!
What a wonderful day spent on Monserrate! We came down at dusk, and got to see the city lit up as we traveled down the mountain.
1 comment:
Very pretty Melina, what a nice day.
Post a Comment