Saturday, May 28, 2011

Moments from the Past

My first day in Colombia I was really excited to meet my Tía Lucia for the first time. She is my grandma’s sister, and I had heard a lot about her, and could not wait to see her and give her a big hug. In my mind, she was a part of Grandma, and I miss my Grandma a lot. I rang her door bell, and she opened the door. A sweet little lady, who in some ways does remind me of my Grandma, stood their looking at me. She held her arms wide open with tears in her eyes, and gave me a hug. She later tells the story of that first time she saw me. She says that when she opened the door she saw her mother standing there, looking how she remembered her when Tía Lucia was a little girl. Her eyes always fill with tears when she tells me how much I look like her mom, my great grandma. Everyone who knew my great grandma agrees that I look just like her. This really gave me a sense of connection to my family, and also to Colombia. I feel like I belong here. Don’t worry people back in Oregon, I am coming backJ. But to be honest there is a part of me that wants to stay here, and continue learning all I can. It will be hard to leave. So, here are some pictures to share my connection to my family and to Colombia. 


So, this is my great grandma Hortensia. The one who everyone says I look like. She is about 25 years old here. You can make your own judgment whether or not I look like her :)   

I am also told I look like my grandma Emma. So here is a picture of her as well.


And then last, but not least, a picture of my great great grandma. She would be Hortensia's mom. I don't look like her, but it's fun to see where my curly hair may have come from! :)






No comments: