Saturday, May 28, 2011

Moments of Connection with Villa de Leyva


My Tio Eduardo was born and raised in Villa de Leyva. He and his family lived in a Finca (farm) that is just out of town. They also owned a home in Villa de Leyva  where they would also live. Even though Tio and I are not blood related, he is still my family. So, seeing the places from his childhood still gave me a sense of connection to the town. His family was very well known in Villa de Leyva, and they lived a good life there. The house that was in town was handed down to his brother, who later sold it. It is now a little mall with quite a few different stores in each room. 

This is the door to the inside. On the top of the door it says Juan de Castellanos. That would be Tio's brother. 

This place, like a lot of the town was built in the late 1500's. Pretty amazing! Just looking from the outside of the house, I would not have known the prize that waited inside. 




Above is a view from Tio's room as a boy into the patio area of the home. Most of the homes have the open area in the middle, and to get from room to room you have to walk outside. 



The open window is Tio's room from the other side of the house. 

The very very old staircase! 

The patio area is now a restaurant. 


And here in one of the walkways you see that parts of it is made up of spine bones.

It was Martha who gave me a tour of this house. She told me that Tio does not like going there, it  makes him too sad. I can understand that. That night we came into the town to have a late snack, and I was walking arm in arm with Tio as we went to the restaurant. As we were passing the door to this house he stopped in his tracks, and looked at me and said, " This was my house. Look at those bones in the walkway." That was all that was said, but my eyes filled with tears just to hear him say that. 

The restaurant that we went to was just next door to the house. We had not realized it at the time, but I was told as we were sitting there, that that area too had been a part of of Tio's house. Tio does have Alzheimer's, although I would say not that badly, and they were not sure if he would recognize the place we were in. As we sat there he would just turn his head, and look around. He spent most the time just looking around at everything. They asked him if he knew this place, and he said that of course he did. It was very special to me to be there with him, and to see his mind trying to take it all in. 

Enjoying our time in the Resturant. No one in the family had been there before, and we all loved it. There was live music, and good food! Here are Consuelo and German enjoying themselves. 

This is not the best quality picture, but I just love the smiles on both Tio Eduardo and Tia Lucia's faces! 

I love how almost every town I go to in Colombia, I feel a connection to it through my family. It really makes my time here that much more special. Thank you for enjoying it with me! 

1 comment:

Sue M said...

I seemed to have missed why there are bones in the walkway and what make Tio so sad about the place.