I was invited to have lunch with the sister workers at one of the friends homes. She lives in a very poor part of Bogotá, and lives a very simple, yet happy life. Most of my time here in Colombia has been spent with those who are not in need, so it was good for me to see the other side of the coin. I love how some people, who live with so little, can have a richer and fuller life than those of us who have everything we could want. It’s a good lesson to take to heart!!
Salena is making friends with the manikin :)
As you can tell from the things behind Ema in this picture, the lady of the house sews for a living.
A view of the dinning/ living room, and of Ema :)
Here we are in the kitchen, preparing the HUGE feast!
Just after the above picture was taken, I was a little clumsy, and the jar of sugar ended up all over the floor! I felt sooo bad, especially because something as simple as sugar is valued! So, of course I could not leave without replacing it! :)
What's time together without a little tinto? (Coffee) People always give me a strange look when I pass on this, I can't help it if I have never liked the taste! Even if Colombia does have the best coffee around.
It was pouring rain outside, so that meant it was also dripping inside.
A view from the other side of the room.
Just about all the ladies in the kitchen, working away.
This is the laundry area.
The incredible spread! She really went all out to make sure we had enough to eat. It really makes you appreciate the food more.... and of course it helps that it was DELICIOUS!!!
There was a birthday in the house, so we brought a special surprise :)
A little after dinner visit.
Walking to catch the bus. This is a huge hill that thankfully we just had to walk down, and not up!
Waiting to catch the bus. Thankfully the rain had slowed down!
I loved my time with these ladies! I felt very privileged to be in the home for lunch, and to humbly receive the best they had to give.
1 comment:
It really does put perspective in your heart and mind when you know there are people all around the world who are happier than you are, yet have a whole lot less. Maybe living the "simple" life would be better for the whole world in general. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment