April 16th was my Tia Lucias Birthday. I am not sure how old she turned, but it is somewhere in her mid 80's. We went out to the weekend home in Sopo to celebrate. This house has been in our family for nearly 100 years. We have a picture of my grandma as a baby in front of this house. It was so special to get to see it, and spend a few days there. I am sure I will be spending many more weekends there!
This is the entrance to the ' la finca' or 'farm'. The plaque says 'el rocio', which means 'The Dew'
This is just a few pictures of the outside of the house. I did not get many, and hardly any of the inside. I will be there again, and will take more pictures, and a video so you can get a feel for the place. I was pretty sick at this point, and was scolded for doing much at all :)
Tia Lucia and Tio Eduardo enjoying a little dance
Enjoying some time outside while the sun was out. We spent about half the day outside until it began to rain, then the party was moved inside.
Tia opening a few of her gifts.
Giuliana and Tio having a conversation.
This is another cousin, Martha's brother. I think his name is Herman. It will take me a while to get everyones names straight!
This is Susana. I am not sure what her title is, but she is basically the household manager where I live. She does everything and anything pertaining to the keeping of a house. She is a very sweet lady, and has been with the family for 40 years. It is really strange to have someone wait on you in your own home.
You can't really see her, but the lady on the far left is the helper that lives with Tia and Tio. I am not sure who the two in the middle are. They are working hard to feel a party of 40 people! I was glad that everyone was really gracious, and thankful for all the hard work these ladies did!
The yummy food Susana made.
I did not realize how much singing and music there would be! It was a lot of fun to listen to. I wish I knew the songs and could join in!.
We are inside singing now. This is Giuliana, and another cousin Juliana. They are the same age, so they have a lot of fun together. Juliana speaks really good English, so they practice Spanish and English together.
It was fun sitting next to this lady while singing. She is another cousin, I'm not sure how to spell her name, but it is Paula Monica, and her daughter Sophia. She tried to tell me the words before hand, so that I could sing them too. It was kind of hard seeing as I did not have a voice at the time :) But I enjoyed it non the less!
The main guitar players. There were a few others who played as well. I tried to load a video of the singing, but my internet connection is too slow.
Along with it being Tia Lucias birthday, there were a few others to celebrate as well. This cake was really good!
This is a high chair that my grandma used as a baby! And my aunts and uncles. It was fun to be able to see it. Next time I'm in Sopo, I will have to go to the house where my grandma was born. It is not in the family now, but it is a famous house, and well known. I am not really sure why, so I will have to find that all out when I go and see it! :)
I caught Marco, the grounds keeper, milking the cow. I thought this was a fun picture to share :)
No comments:
Post a Comment