I was really sick two weeks before leaving for Colombia, and was so glad when I started to feel better a few days before taking off. When I arrived, I felt fine, just a little something in the back of my throat, and a small cough. On day two, I had a headache, and was not feeling really well. We attributed it to altitude sickness, because that is very common. On that night we had gone to the mall, and my aunt had given me a ruana (like a poncho) to wear because it was 'cold' outside. Well, in our standards, it was not cold outside, and I was hot wearing it. So, when we got there I took it off. After we got home, I really was not well, and decided to take my temperature, and it was 102. Well, the family just about had a fit because I had not worn the ruana, and that was why I had such a high fever. That was the night we drove to the country. The next morning I was even worse, without a voice, and a bad sore throat, and a worse cough. Now that the whole family was together, I had all these remedies being given to me by all the different ladies. Some were ok, others did not taste so good. I over heard my aunt telling several people that the weather was too cold for me, and that I had gone outside without the ruana. And when I had come to see her on the first day I was wearing sandals, and a shorter skirt, so I had no idea how to dress in the cold Colombian weather. So, the whole time I was there in the country I had to wear a sweater with a ruana over it, with a scarf. If I dared to take any of it off, I would be scolded. A ruana is made out of wool, and is VERY warm. Let me tell you what they call cold weather. It is in the upper 60's. Quite comfortable for me. But everyone here calls that kind of weather cold, and they are all bundled up. I tried explaining many times that I was warm, but it did not matter, they were sure I would get more sick if I was not completely covered.
I am feeling better now, so I'm glad about that. I have a feeling that people here will continue to think that I have a weak immune system, and that my body can't handle the 'cold' weather. :) I found the whole situation amusing.
1 comment:
I love the picture of you! Sorry you were feeling sick, get your voice back so you can prove to them you speak Spanish!
Post a Comment