There is a mall really close to where I am living. It is about a 20 min. walk. This was my second day here, and both Giuliana and I were suffering a little from altitude sickness, so we had to walk slowly. Bogotá is around 8,600 feet above sea level. I felt fine my first day, but had a headache and dizzy on the second. I don't know if it was really from the altitude or not because it turned out I really was sick.
On our walk we came across many different kind of plants. I am not too much of a tourist by posing with the plants, am I? :)
I had to get a picture of the stop sign :) Just to the right of this picture are soldiers. I was too embarrassed to take a picture of them. We saw them all along the way to the mall, standing outside holding their guns. Apparently there was someone important in that area, and that is why there were there.
The mall is huge, with a lot of people. There are a lot of the same stores that we are used to, but the prices of clothing is really really high. I did not go into any of the clothing stores, but Giuliana told me the the prices are about 150% higher then they are in the US.
We ate at a very popular place called Crepes & Waffles. I did a report on this restaurant in a class last year, so it was fun to be able to eat there. C&W started in Bogotá by a couple, with the idea that they would hire only single mothers, or women who were the head of the household. There are several chains now, even in other country's. They help these ladies in more ways then just giving them jobs. C&W also helps them get to a point that they can buy there own place, and helps them buy things like a washing machine. One reason it is a help for the ladies to have a washing machine is because without one they have to take a day off to just do a day of laundry by hand, and in doing so, they lose a days wages.
Crepes & Waffles has very good ice cream :)
No comments:
Post a Comment